Wednesday 8 July 2009

Less is more

I have been challenged recently about how consumer driven our society is... how consumer driven I am...

It started with thinking about Taliese's birthdayand all the toys the kids have... why do people HAVE to buy them stuff and NEW stuff to make themselves feel like they are acting in loving way. Do the kids really value all the stuff they have... do they really need more to make them happy, smart, contented, etc...

(The problem is I understand because I love shopping and I love buying stuff and I love giving gifts too... just gotta change my thinking about how to do this well without buying into consumerism.)

Then I started reading this blog which moved the issue closer to home. These people are trying to not buy ANYTHING for a year. Admittedly she know how to wield a sowing machine ... but it's a big challenge to change my thinking on this. (No new clothes, furniture, DVDs, sheets, toothpaste, toilet paper etc... no consuming)

This article also had some ideas in how to help the environment and make lifestyle changes that reduce the amount of stuff we use and chuck etc. And this is always a good reminder of the long term impact of it all.

The bible says, "But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out." 1 Timothy 6:6-7

I am challenged to make changes, live with less and to tear down some of the idols in my life that I simply cannot live without! (and I'm sure Dave will be happy with all the money we save). Baby steps to start with... I think the most important change will be how I think and feel about it all. Contentment.



These girls seem pretty contented with their blueberry and grape necklaces ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! i am challenged, too, and will be more so when combining His and Her stuff in a few months' time! ;-)
Ali